general

Friday, August 04, 2006

The Power of Language

This is about how easy it is to bond with someone if you know their language especially when they least expect it. I live in Hyderabad where the local languages are Telugu, Urdu, Hindi and English. Hindi and English are the lingua francae of everyday living and no one really thinks much about it. Infact so is Telugu but mostly for the localites.

But there are people from all over India in Hyderabad and the other day I went to a road-side eatery where I overheard the guys who owned the place talk in Marathi (language from a neighbouring state) so I asked him (in Marathi) if they were from the state.

He said "No, we aren't - we are from a border state - we speak Kannada (another neighbouring state's language)".

So, I asked for what I wanted in that language (I stumbled through it actually but managed to convey that I know it) - and the service for me from that point on just changed - he was just happy to have someone from his state talk to him in his language. We bonded so simply - people who wouldn't have otherwise bothered with each other and may or may not remember each other the next time we met. It is amazing how language can get you a shortcut into someone's good side! And this isn't the only time this has happened.

I wonder if the same thing happens in America - would a German or Dutch store owner warm up to a customer who spoke his language? I would guess the charm is very much the same anywhere?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home